Thursday, July 30, 2009

Don't Maroon Yourself / Blog Piracy poster

You MAY copy this image for the sole purpose of displaying on your blog or website IF it is linked back to this flickr group :  www.flickr.com/groups/stopartpiracycampaign . You may NOT use any piece of this image for your own artwork or any other publication or reproduction.


Since I like to use historical imagery from the PUBLIC DOMAIN in my digital work; I chose one of my favourite of the classic illustrators.....one of Howard Pyle"s famous pirate portrayals. I also included a one-page link of interest from Docs Populi that models a way to give a citation to such a PD image, which I have referenced for doing my poster here.

http://www.docspopuli.org/articles/RecyclingArt.html


I particularly like their point about the importance, even when using PD pieces about attribution...it's your own way of not contributing to cultural/historical amnesia.

....not the least because it's something I myself am trying to do better at!

Pyle's powerful image portrays the pirate practice of marooning.....you choose to break The Code .....you choose to take the chance of being excluded from that society of choice; or worse....for me it's message is analogous to exclusion from any community, including an Art one.

No comments:

Post a Comment